“The six agreements signed will intensify cooperation in the fields of disaster management, sports, shipping, cooperation in atomic energy for socio-economic development, anti-narcotics and academic cooperation.
In a joint news conference after holding talks with President Maithripala Sirisena the Pakistan Premier said “We want a stable and peaceful relationship with Sri Lanka.”
Mr. Nawaz voiced Pakistan’s intentions to maintain good relations with all neighboring countries, he emphasized that ties with Sri Lanka were a special priority for Pakistan, and that the leaders shared common views on regional and international issues.
President Sirisena said: “At critical moments in our post-independent histories we have stood in solidarity with each other,” adding he was “profoundly grateful for the strong support in the fight against terrorism” by Pakistan.
The memorandums of understanding (MoU) signed are:
1) Cooperation between Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission and Atomic Energy Authority of Sri Lanka.
2) Agreement on cooperation against illicit trafficking in narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances.
3) Academic cooperation agreement on exchange and collaboration between National Defence University of Pakistan and Lakshman Kadirgamar Institute of International Relations and Strategic Studies of Sri Lanka.
4) Collaboration in the field of Sports.
5) Mutual cooperation in the shipping business between Pakistan National Shipping Corporation (PNSC) and the Ceylon Shipping Corporation Ltd (CSCL).
6) Cooperation on disaster management.