Phillip Hughes, aged 25 the Australia Test batsman struck on the head by a ball two days ago, has died. He died two days after being struck on the top of the neck by a ball during a domestic match in Sydney. Hughes, was hit by a delivery from bowler Sean Abbott.
The batsman, who was wearing a protective helmet, was rushed to the city’s St Vincent’s Hospital, where he underwent surgery and was being monitored in the intensive care unit. Cricket Australia confirmed on its official website that he had been “struck on the back, lower left side of the head” with Dr Brukner confirming he had suffered a “severe” injury. He later confirmed the player never regained consciousness.
The England cricket team, who are currently in Sri Lanka for a one-day series, have cancelled today’s media conference after the shock death.
“It’s an understatement to say we’re completely devastated,” said Cricket Australia boss James Sutherland. “The word tragedy gets used too often in sport, but this freak accident is a real life tragedy.”
Australia captain Michael Clarke read out a statement on behalf of the Hughes family at a news conference held at St Vincent’s Hospital, where the player, who would have been 26 on Sunday, was being treated.
Speaking on behalf of parents Greg and Virginia, sister Megan and brother Jason, he said: “We’re devastated by the loss of our much-loved son and brother, Phillip. It’s been a very difficult few days.