The US Embassy Colombo announced a program designed to promote greater understanding of social media. The Social Media Lab is a new program being offered by the US Embassy Colombo to foster greater understanding of social media. Social Media Lab offers free beginner, intermediate and advanced courses at the American Center Colombo. Courses typically run 4-5 hours, and are interactive. You may register for courses at http://goo.gl/1Es2sW from January 2 – 17, 2014. You may bring a laptop or there are computers at the American Center for use.
Beginner Social Media. This course is ideal for people with very limited knowledge about social media, and those wanting to get a basic understanding of what social media is all about. This course explains the fundamentals of social media + attempts to make sense of this arena. Areas we’ll cover include:
- What is social media? An introduction into Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, LinkedIn.
- Facebook basics: creating an account, adding content, privacy settings, posting, sharing and likes;
- What is Twitter? A brief overview and why it’s so useful;
- A brief overview of LinkedIn and Youtube;
- Google Search Tips;
- Online Language tools;
Intermediate Social Media. This course explores the more advanced levels of social media essentials (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Youtube, Instagram) and how they can use social media to work for them. Areas to cover include:
- Intermediate Facebook – Joining groups, engaging;
- Twitter 2.0 – tweeting, following, analysis;
- Maximize your LinkedIn –Job search and LinkedIn optimization
- Youtube, Instagram – searching for content;
- Content aggregators and curators;
- Advanced language tools;
Advanced Social Media. This course is ideal for those who are sophisticated social media users, and want to learn about the latest new technologies. Areas to cover include:
- Facebook Insights;
- Social media storytelling;
- Best practices for storytelling;
- Social Media ethics;
- Social Media Mobile apps;
- Video editing, posting and sharing.